Sunday, June 10, 2012

PacMan and Politics

June 9 was a very important day for boxing aficionados everywhere- especially fans of the world-famous Manny Pacquiao and Timothy Bradley. Being of Filipino heritage, it is not shocking to know that many of my relatives threw little parties in which barbecue (and maybe some Coors) was served, excitingly sitting on a plush couch and eagerly watching the game on High Definition television. An array of "WTF?!"s and other expletives flooded my Facebook wall. I myself did not watch the game. However, I did read a couple of articles claiming that "PacMan" should have won the game and that it was an unfair fight.

I admit that in my life, overall, I have only watched two Pacquaio fights. I remember vividly a cool November night in Glendale as he fought Antonio Margarito, the game obviously far too easy for him. I once spotted him in Los Angeles International Airport around 2005 as I landed back from Manila, recognizing his short stature as he was being interviewed by a Filipino news channel. But maybe my sense of "nationalism" or "ethnocentricism" ends there. I admire him as a fighter, a talented boxer... but I always became irritated with others who automatically believed I was some hardcore Pacquiao-lover just because we happen to be of the same race.

Boxing is so much like politics... rough, tough, intense, messy, strategic, often requiring a quick-witted mind (okay, okay, maybe except for Bush 43). Each intellectual slogan and idea always adds a firm punch in the opponent, and many people often want to identify themselves with their favorite fighter.

Pacquiao is undoubtedly an international hero, with power emanating from his buff physique. And yet, at the same time, I believe that he should stick to what he is good at, which is boxing. Yes, he is extremely wealthy, and yes, he did have a few schools built in his name in the Philippines. He is also a Congressman who has switched parties at least twice- and who has openly shown his disapproval of gay marriage, at least in America. He is entitled to his own opinions- but really, must his political beliefs be taken very seriously, taking his intellect into account? I clearly think he has good intentions concerning educating those in the Philippines and spreading his wealth, but even as his title of Congressman... I don't see him as an authority on what I should politically agree with. Should give I a damn that he doesn't support gay marriage?

However, I wouldn't mind attending the next family barbecue for a Pay-Per-View boxing match. And save the roasted zucchini, baked potatoes, and organic green tea for me... agree or disagree with politics, I can appreciate Pacquiao for what he is- a great boxer.

Your Ad Here

No comments:

Post a Comment